Making an FOI request of the Ombudsman's Office
The object of the ACT Freedom of Information Act 1989 (the FOI Act) is to extend, as far as possible, the ACT community's right of access to information in the possession of the ACT Government.
The FOI Act applies to the documents held by the majority of ACT government agencies. It also applies to documents held by ministers that relate to the affairs of those agencies. An agency must make a decision about an FOI application within 30 days, but this period may be extended if consultations are required. For FOI requests to the Ombudsman’s office there is no application fee. There may be processing charges under certain circumstances, but both may be reduced or waived on grounds including hardship or the public interest.
For provisions of the FOI Act that apply specifically to the Ombudsman’s office see:
- Information concerning functions and documents of the Ombudsman (FOI Act, section 7)
- Documents available for inspection and purchase (FOI Act, section 8)
Making an FOI request
If you wish to make an FOI request, you should write to our Office (see our Contact us page for details) and address all correspondence to the FOI Officer. Please include the address at which you wish to receive correspondence.
It would be helpful if you can specify the documents you seek in as much detail as possible.
The Ombudsman has authorised the Deputy Ombudsman, all Senior Assistant Ombudsmen, and some executive-level officers to grant or refuse requests for access.
Documents available without an FOI request
Ombudsman staff are able to provide certain kinds of documents without an FOI request, including:
- documents previously and lawfully provided by or to the complainant by the Ombudsman's office or someone else
- records of telephone conversations involving the complainant
- most database entries relating to the person who made the complaint.
- The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website contains information concerning the Commonwealth Freedom of Information Act 1982 (the FOI Act); about FOI; how to make a complaint; how to seek a review; and review decisions.
- Commonwealth Ombudsman website for matters relating to the Australian Government.